Friday, October 5, 2018

Metamorphosis: Crafting Butterfly Wings



Shimmery 'Butterfly Wings'

Do you know a little girl who is captivated by Butterflies?

Fuel her imaginary flights of fancy with a pair of shimmering butterfly wings!

A few raw materials can 'Metamorph' into a pretty pair of wings.

Lightweight flowy fabric, elastic and ribbon...


Raw Materials for Crafting Butterfly Wings






Thrift shops can be great places to look for fabric for this project, which is where I found this Shimmery, Multi-Colored, Flowy Polyester Fabric.  Polyester is hard wearing which is a terrific quality for dress up clothes!

To add more fun color to the Butterfly Wings I chose to use a Bright Pink Foldover Elastic. This type of elastic is also very soft!

The light turquoise ribbon chosen brings out the hint of blue in the fabric.


This is the Tutorial I used as a guide to create "Butterfly Wings" http://catonalimb.blogspot.com/2011/10/homemade-silky-fairy-wings-christmas.html

I made a few changes from the tutorial in crafting the 'Butterfly Wings' .

1. The size of the fabric piece I started with was 45" wide by 31" long.  Two sides of this piece were the selvedge edges,  which I left as is...and hemmed the other 2 sides with a narrow hem.

Pressed line as a guide for Gathering Stitches


2. To mark the middle of the fabric piece I just folded it in half and ironed the center folded edge.

This created a visible line I could follow as a guide while stitching the gathering stitches.

Sewing the Ribbon over Gathered Area
I lined that pressed line up with the edge of my presser foot, and sewed first along one side of the pressed line and then along the oppposite side of the pressed line. This created a 1" wide gathering channel.





Center Ribbon and Elastic
Corner Ribbon and Elastic

3. When stitching the ribbon over the elastic onto fabric, I stitched a X design to add strength to the area. 

This area will now take lots of tension without coming undone!




Light Illuminating the Butterfly Wings

Purple Spotted Swallowtail


To add to the Fun, I crafted 3 Butterfly Wings like this. 

Now 3 Little Girls can be Butterflies Together.

Oh to have the Wings of a Butterfly, to flit and float on the breeze....





























No comments:

Post a Comment