Monday, October 8, 2018

Crafting a Corduroy Cloche: Tips and Tricks

Corduroy Cloche is Perfect for Cold Rainy Days
 I Love my Daily Walks....in any kind of weather.

The trick is to dress appropriately.

Last year my Wool Houndstooth Cloche was perfect for our Pacific North West Coast Winter Weather.....Cold and Rainy usually!

This year I decided to make another one for variety, in a lovely Turquoise Corduroy Fabric.

Turquoise Corduroy Cloche






Rosabelle Cloche by Elsewhen  Millinery


 Read on for my Tips and Trick for working with Corduroy in the Making of this Cloche!

The pattern is from Elsewhen Millinery.





Keep the nap running in same direction for all pieces
Microtex Needle
Firstly, when working with corduroy, when cutting out the pieces, always make sure the nap is running the same way!

Next, I like to use a Microtex Needle, it makes getting through thicker fabrics easier.

Patching Interfacing on Brim Pieces
2 Layers of Interfacing on Crown Pieces
I used 2 Layers of interfacing on the Crown Pieces to stiffen the corduroy.  This makes for a nicely shaped hat.   I used Fusible Woven Interfacing.

When interfacing the Brim, I needed to patch the interfacing to get the required length. I was careful not to patch in the same areas on each brim piece.

Handcranking Stitches through Extra Thick Areas


 Now this is a major tip:

When stitching through very thick areas, such as the last joining seam on the Crown or Topstitching , make stitches by turning the handcrank and lifting the pressor foot if necessary to move fabric ahead a stitch length at a time.

Once past this extra thick area, once again resume stitching regularly.

Using Wonder Clips in place of Pins


A Terrific Tool to use in place of pins are Wonder Clips!  Pins bend so easily when working with thicker fabrics.





Topstitching the Brim


Here is a Trick I like to use for Topstitching.

I place the edge of the area to topstitch against the inside edge of my pressor foot, using it as a guide.

Then I Move my Needle Position over the amount needed , in this case about 3/8
inch.

This makes it very easy to keep the Topstitching Uniform in Width.


There you have it, my few tips and tricks for making a Corduroy Cloche.

Try not to be intimidated about trying new to you sewing projects!

Even if it dosen't turn out exactly as planned you will have gained experience in sewing that you can apply to future projects....this is how I learned these tips and tricks above....by going ahead and sewing previous items.

Happy Sewing.....







Loving my Newest Cloche



No comments:

Post a Comment