Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Adding the Wow Factor: With Bits and Pieces

Mock up of Contrast Shoulder Panel: Carey Top
There's a reason I save small bits of interesting fabrics.

They have the potential to take a sewing project from "Nice" to "Wow"!

Sometimes it's a quiet "Wow" that means....so lovely.  Other times it's a "Wow" that means...so wonderful.

Let me show you what I mean....







Currently, I am sewing a set of PJ's for myself, and I want them to be just a bit special.

The Fabric from my stash is very lovely. but the top needed just a little more something to move it from nice to special.

I am using the Carey Top pattern by Itch to Stitch for my PJ top.  It is really easy to add the Wow factor to this top on the shoulder panels.  Lots of scope for contrast play here.

A solid can be nice on the shoulder panels, but I chose this black and white stripe fabric that was left over from previous projects.

See what I mean about saving small bits of interesting fabric?

Here are more examples of this:

Lace Insert Adds a Lovely Touch



This is the Arenal Top by Itch to Stitch.

The Lace Shoulder Insert adds a soft, lovely touch don't you think?

This Stretch Lace Fabric was actually from a top I came across in my local Thrift Shop.  I bought it purposely to reuse the fabric. 








Contrasting Binding Adds Interest









Now here is the Lago Tank also by Itch to Stitch and offered as a Free Pattern.

The Retro Daisy Fabric benefits from a touch of solid color in the contrast bindings.

The binding fabric was actually a green and white stripe fabric. The stripe was wide enough to isolate just one color for the binding.

See, you never know how those bits of fabric could be used!









Lots of Contrasts Here




This final example is a study in Combining Prints.

This is the Visby Henley once again by Itch to Stitch.(can you tell this is my favorite pattern designer...lol)

3 Different Fabrics are used here.  The Pink and White Stripe fabric left after making my Arenal Top above.  A Black Floral fabric.  And more of that Stretch Lace fabric is lining the hood!

It came out Fabulous, if I do say so myself....









I hope this has inspired you with ideas of how to add the "wow" factor to your sewing projects.

Save those bits and pieces of fabrics you love and they can be just what is needed in future projects.

Happy Sewing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment